Meta Title Tag: We know that off-page SEO practices, like link building, plays the most important role in improving the visibility and rankings of a website. But that doesn’t mean on-page SEO practices are not relevant any more.
Although not as important as before, from the SEO point of view I mean, tags still play a vital role in establishing relevancy of blog posts in the eyes of the search engines. As a blogger, it is, therefore, important that you understand what the different tags mean and the importance of tags in SEO.
I will cover all the tags in a series of posts starting with this one. In this article, I will talk about Meta Title Tag. Read on to find out.
What Is A Meta Title Tag?
A Meta Title Tag is an HTML tag which is used to specify the title of a web page – blog post, the home page of a website, or any other type of web pages.
The Meta Title Tag appears in the code of the web page, the head section of the code to be precise. It is readable by the search engines, giving them an idea about what the page is about. For users, it appears as the blue, clickable text in the SERP, which takes us to the respective pages.
It also appears in the web browser and various social networks.
Importance Of A Meta Title Tag
As mentioned above, the Meta Title Tag appears in three places. In each of these places, it plays an important role:
- Search Engine Result Page (SERP): The title, as it appears in the SERP, plays a very important role in determining whether or not users are going to click on it. It is the first thing that they will see. Hence, you need to write it in a manner that accurately conveys the users what the we page is about. At the same time, search engines too read this and understand the topic of the page, which is one of the stages involved in establishing relevancy.
- Web Browsers: Often we open so many tabs in the browser that it becomes difficult to keep track of which one is about what. At times like this, the Meta Title Tag helps us. Hovering the cursor over a particular tab shows the Title Tag for the page opened in that tab.
- Social Networks: When a web page is shared on social media, the Meta Title Tag of that page is picked up to be displayed making it easier for readers to understand what the shared page is about.
Especially, in search engine result pages and social networks, the Meta Title Tag plays a crucial role. Unless it is written properly, people won’t click on it. And CTR is a ranking factor. User behavior can really make or break a website. So, this way, Meta Title Tag is important for SEO.
How To Write A Great Meta Title Tag?
Now that the importance of writing great Meta Title Tags has been established, let us look at some tips to write them:
- The length of the Title Tag should be such that it is displayed completely in the SERP. There isn’t any fixed number of characters for Title Tags. But it is recommended that you keep the character count to 55-65. There are also various tools to see how the title of your web page will look in the SERP. For WordPress blogs, you can use the Yoast SEO plugin which has various other important features.
- Include your primary keyword or focus keyword (for which you want the page to rank) at the beginning of the Meta Title Tag. Make sure the placement of keywords
- It is also recommended to include at least one secondary keyword in the Title Tag.
- Make sure the Title Tag gives a clear and correct idea about what the web page is about. Do not overpromise for that will increase the bounce rate which will negatively impact the rankings. At the same time, do not make it too boring or unattractive because then people won’t even click on it.
- Write a unique Meta Title Tag for each of the web pages.
So, this covers more or less all the important aspects of Meta Title Tags. I hope I have been able to explain it to you clearly.
If you have any question, ask them in the comment section below and I will answer at the earliest.